.NET Software Engineer
Who are we...
We are a young multi-cultural company (look us up at www.frontiersin.org) based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Although the words “young multi-cultural” might seem just like buzz words, we have in fact an age average of 31, with people from 33 different nationalities.
What we do...
Frontiers is a Scientific Publisher company. Back in the stone age we used to print out the scientific articles in books. Now of course, everything is online. That’s why we need you!
And because we want to make this world a better place, all articles published by Frontiers are open access, meaning anyone in the world can have access to the knowledge published for free.
Even if you are not interested in this job offer or you happen to be a Java developer that clicked the wrong link, I still recommend you to watch this video from our CEO on the Open Access topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtP6-nAjJ0
How we do it...
Now the fun part. All our development is based in .NET and for the most recent applications we are playing with .NET Core and Docker Containers. We use many different types of technologies such as SQL Server, RabbitMQ, MongoDB, ElasticSearch and Redis.
There are 12 software development teams which together have created around 200 applications. We aim for a microservices architecture trying to split responsibilities on different applications as much as we can. This reality has given us interesting challenges and experience on managing large software systems and collaboration with many teams. And because if it was easy it wouldn’t be fun, we are now entering the multi-tenant applications world.
Who we are looking for...
A person that wants to work and live in the amazing French-speaking Lausanne city. If you don’t know French, fear not. You can manage the basic daily interactions just with English and there are many ways for you to integrate and learn French. But I really need you to know about .NET, mainly web application development, and I need an answer to the question: tabs or spaces?
While other development teams work more in products for the end user, our team focus on core backend and automation tools to be used by the other teams and their applications. Which means you will be designing and developing such tools. So, I need your mind to be curious and eager to explore other realities around software development and its lifecycle.
The HR guy is looking at me now, so I need to start writing this in a more formal manner…
Duties for the role:
- Develop and maintain software
- Contribute to the improvement of processes, quality and software delivery
- Collaborate with other teams (development, quality assurance, operations)
- Analyze and optimize our systems architecture
- Drive the development of new features
The ideal candidate will need to have solid experience in .NET software development and be familiar with the full lifecycle of a software product and systems infrastructure.
Required experience / background / skills:
- Pro-active and autonomous person that wants to explore beyond the software development field
- Solid experience with Microsoft .NET C#
- Full-stack web application development experience (including UI, REST APIs and Databases)
- Good understanding of Code Quality Assurance concepts (such as unit testing, integration testing, automation tests, CI, design patterns, coding standards, code reviews)
- Knowledge of software architecture and infrastructure
- Excellent communication skills In English, both written and verbal
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- .NET C# language
- TFS Builds and Releases
- SQL Server
- Docker Containers
- Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment
- 25 days' vacation per year and Christmas office closure;
- Participation into the company's annual bonus scheme;
- Professional development opportunities;
- Plenty of social & fun benefits:
- Christmas party, summer barbecue, monthly happy hour;
- Fruits & snacks in the kitchen as well as much tea & coffee as you like;
- In-house well being activities including free weekly yoga;
- A huge variety of self-organized activities from ski trips and football to French club.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Swiss or EU citizen, or have a valid Swiss work permit.