Journal Development Manager
We are seeking one enthusiastic and target-oriented professional for the position of Journal Development Manager. We currently have an opening with the main responsibility of content acquisition in the fields of Applied Mathematics & Statistics .
These permanent, full-time positions in our Lausanne office will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of content acquisition initiatives, as well as supporting and building relationships with the editorial boards. They will also be responsible for achieving the growth and development targets for their journal portfolio.
Under the guidance of a Program Manager and working closely with other Journal Development Managers and editorial office team members, the Journal Development Manager position requires an ability to quickly analyze large volumes of information, arrive at solution-oriented decisions, and focus on strategies that bring results. The successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal skills and work experience within academic publishing, will liaise and develop relationships with very high-profile scholars, will manage and supervise 1-3 members of the editorial office team, and will devise and implement editorial strategies with the goal of increasing the market share of the portfolios in question.
- Manage the activities of the relevant journal portfolio, and the launch of new specialty sections.
- Devise and drive content acquisition strategies to ensure the growth and success of the journals;
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and promote the journal in all communications;
- Forecast journal growth and deliver on ambitious targets;
- Devise and implement editorial strategies;
- Lead internal projects on content management and ensuring quality;
- Liaise with internal departments to ensure efficiency of operations;
- Manage and lead a team of 1-3 journal development specialists
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house;
- At least 1 year of management experience;
- Project and staff management experience is a strong plus (journal launch experience will be an advantage for the Big Data/Research Metrics & Analytics portfolio);
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality;
- Preferably a graduate-level degree (PhD or equivalent in portfolio-related subject area) with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Adept at digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (specifically MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms;
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the EU (Schengen area).
Your application should include:
1. A cover letter and resume (as DOC or PDF)
2. The indication of your earliest availability
3. A 300 word summary on the following - "How do you see scientific journal publishing in ten years?”