Software Engineer - Full Stack (Azure, Machine Learning & Vue.js)
We are looking for an enthusiastic full stack developer that helps us to design and build a new generation of tools based on that will transform open-access publishing. You will need to apply Machine Learning and Big Data solutions on a daily basis, working in a Cloud environment with Azure or developing .Net transversal applications which integrate with Salesforce. You will use technologies like MongoDB, Elasticsearch and .Net Core in the backend or Vue.js in the UI.
You will work in a Scrum team along with other talented developers. Supported by a Scrum Master, QA and Product Owner, the team usually works in 2 week sprints.
The team has recently worked on a service to find the best experts in different research areas at a worldwide-level in order to identify and bring the top reviewers to assess the quality of manuscripts submitted to Frontiers journals. The service is based in semantic searches that process the keywords, fields of expertise and publications of the authors, providing visual feedback about why each expert was selected, and was built in Web Api with .Net Core, over Elasticsearch indices.
The team is also working in a UI application that allows to perform smart searches over our different data sources, explore the data universe, tune and refine the queries to adapt the criteria. The app is built with Vue.js and access different data sources in Elasticsearch and MongoDB.
What you will do
- Define and implement algorithms to extract meaningful information from big data sources, collaborating with data scientists and machine learning experts in order to tackle challenging problems in a scalable way.
- Analyze the results and the feedback provided by the consumer apps to keep improving our algorithms and evaluating the value added to the publishing process.
- Write scalable SQL and Elasticsearch queries that impact millions of rows while keeping execution time low.
- Develop APIs that expose data and services to the rest of the company.
- Collaborate with designers and UX experts to create applications that allow to visualize and interpret information in a few clicks
- Collaborate in the development of transversal components to be integrated with Saleforce.
- Participate in your team's scrum process.
- Initiate and participate in technical discussions where many tools, architectures and processes are on the table.
- Submit pull requests and discuss solutions with the team in order to share knowledge.
- Contribute to overall software quality by writing SOLID and testable code.
Your day in the office
As a first thing in the morning, you have the daily meeting to check with the Team how the current sprint is going and if someone needs help in any stories. After the meeting, you keep developing a service that allows to find the best possible contributors for a Research Topic. You then have a call with the PO to check the feedback provided by our Editorial Team and to review the last reports and updates on how the contributors suggested are collaborating on the platform.
In the afternoon, you have a meeting with the team to evaluate how the research about a new JS Framework went and if it looks promising. After that you keep developing and then ping your PO to give a quick mini demo on the progress of the new features. it is already time for leaving, today is happy Thursday and there are free beers and some snacks on the 7th floor!
What we are looking for
- Minimum of 2 years in a similar role.
- Proficient with T-SQL, C# and Frontend development. Knowing Elasticsearch and JS Frameworks is a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- You are eager to work with technologies like Docker, Azure data factory, Azure Batch.
- You hold your work to high standards.
- You are curious and love to learn and try out new things.
- Knowledgeable in development methods, best practices, conventions, algorithms and design patterns.
- You are not afraid to fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- You are willing to travel to the Frontiers' headquarters in Switzerland occasionally.
- You have good English skills.
What we’re offering
- Competitive salary.
- 25 leave days.
- Great work-life balance.
- An office in an awesome location.
- Fresh fruit, snacks and coffee.
- English classes.
- Flexible retribution scheme (nursery cheques, restaurant pass).
- Team building/sport activities and monthly social events.
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizen, or have a valid Spanish work permit.
Agencies must first contact [email protected] and confirm agreement to our T&C’s, failing which any exclusivity and/or candidate representation right will be considered to be waived.