Journal development specialist - Sustainability
We are seeking an enthusiastic and target-oriented professional for the full-time position of Journal Development Specialist - Sustainability, located in our London office. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to contribute to the growth and reputation of our journal portfolio. We are looking for someone who has a background in science (ideally sustainability related), a strong understanding of the academic community and excellent communication skills, as well as publishing and / or industry experience.
Reporting to the Journal Manager and working closely with other editorial staff, the position focuses on commissioning, operational aspects of journal development and editorial board management. The successful candidate will be the primary point of contact with leading researchers around the world, successfully building relationships to acquire quality content for the journal. The candidate will ensure effective editorial board management and participate actively in devising editorial strategies to grow and develop the journal. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills which will enable them to liaise and develop relationships with very high-profile scholars, and be a collaborative team player, working closely with members of supporting teams. To ensure journals maintain and grow their reputation as attractive publishing outlets for the Sustainability community, the successful candidate will also be confident in working with data to perform market analysis of the competitor publishing landscape, identifying new areas for growth to inform our editorial strategies.
The position will provide the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to experience a career in scientific publishing with an innovative, technology-driven Open Access publisher.
Application deadline: 31 August 2019
- Support the Journal Manager in overseeing the activities of established journals and/or the launch of new journals
- Support building and managing high-profile, academic Editorial Boards
- Communicate with academic editors to ensure the timely and on-target execution of journal content acquisition targets
- Carry out existing editorial strategies and develop new journal initiatives by recognizing various growth and development opportunities
- Sustainability or relevant academic background preferable
- Related work experience in a commercial or academic environment
- Excellent communication in written and spoken English, including professional and courteous telephone manner and high attention to details.
- Ability to work independently and make thoughtful decisions without constant supervision
- Previous experience with a publisher with demonstrated project management and research experience an asset
- IT Proficiency with MS Office
- Ability to consistently meet tight deadlines and prioritize varied workload under pressure
- Flexibility and ability to work as a team member
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the UK
Your application should include:
1. A cover letter and resume (as DOC or PDF)
2. An indication of your earliest availability
3. A 300 word summary on the following - "How do you see scientific journal publishing in ten years?”
- 25 days' vacation per year
- Participation into Frontiers annual bonus scheme
- Professional development partnership with Coursera for all
- Plenty of social & fun benefits!