Business Data Analyst
We are looking for a Business Data Analyst with strong analytical and problem solving skills to join our Data Science and Engineering department based in Lausanne.
You will be responsible to analyse and transform large volumes of data into actionable business insights to empower business teams in decision-making and help drive Frontiers business forward. This includes gathering and analysing data in support of business cases. Your work will be used across the company to drive business reporting, market intelligence and operational efficiency.
To be successful in this role, you need to have strong SQL experience across big data sets, excellent Excel and analytical skills, comfort dealing with complex business problems, and the desire and ability to learn and get things done in a fast-paced environment.
Candidates who are familiar with or had previous experiences in the academic publishing industry will receive strong preference.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform in-depth quantitative analysis of business data to derive meaningful conclusions leading to actionable recommendations.
- Independently query and analyse data from multiple internal and external data sources and create useful summaries and visualisation.
- Develop and analyse metrics, create reports, and provide recommendations with the purpose of understanding or making conclusions for decision making and key strategic initiatives.
- Identify and track key performance indicators (KPI’s) for each product and measure, and study variances and key drivers of performance against forecast.
- Identify issues and conduct root cause analysis of the business problems and potential risks through data analysis and modelling.
- Collect external market data and conduct competitive intelligence research, determine relevance, and deliver reports to stakeholders.
- Conduct market research and feasibility studies to analyse the viability of alternative business growth opportunities.
- Participate in design or improvement of business intelligence products and services.
- Document the acquired results of analysis and workflows.
- Collaborate with team members and other colleagues to understand the requirements and delivery of products and services.
Desired Skills and Experience
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- University degree in the field of Business Administration, Economics, or any equivalent.
- At least three years of experience in business analysis.
- Very good experience of data analysis and visualisation and ability to employ analytics tools and technologies.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel related to data analysis and manipulation.
- Advanced proficiency with data presentation tools such as PowerPoint.
- Experience analysing large data sets using SQL, Excel, R, and other quantitative and statistical modelling technologies and tools.
- Highly analytical with a proven ability to translate data analysis and research findings into easy to understand summaries and actionable recommendations.
- Good understanding of relational databases and strong hands-on experience with T-SQL including querying and manipulating data.
- Familiarity with HTML, XML, JSON, .NET programming, and Web API; Practical experience is a plus.
- Experience with BI and analytics tools—Tableau and Power BI is a plus.
General Skills and abilities
- Ability to solve problems using a balance of technical competence, creativity, and pragmatism.
- Flexible, proactive, and self-motivated.
- Highly detail-oriented emphasising accuracy.
- Well-developed time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team, and effectively collaborate with development, operations, and business teams.
- Good command of the English language.
- Excellent communication skills—both verbal and written.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Swiss or EU citizen or have a valid Swiss work permit.