We are looking for a Data Engineer with a background in business intelligence and Data Warehouse development to join our Data Science and Engineering department based in Lausanne.
You will be working on design and development of solutions for data collection, data warehousing, and processing large volumes of data.
To be successful in this role, you need to have strong SQL skills, good knowledge of big data systems, experience of developing data processing pipelines, comfort dealing with complex technical problems, and the desire and ability to learn and get things done in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform data collection, data cleansing and integration, and data retrieval.
- Design and develop highly scalable, end-to-end processes to consume, integrate, and analyse large volume and complex data from different data sources.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain multi-terabyte, scalable, and sustainable enterprise data platform that supports a wide variety of data processing for business intelligence and analytics needs.
- Build and integrate robust data processing pipelines for enterprise-level business analytics.
- Employ strong engineering mind-set in design and development automated monitoring, alerting, and self-healing features.
- Work in a collaborative environment—meetings, iterative development, and design and code review sessions.
- Collaborate with software developers, business intelligence engineers, and data scientists to ensure that requirements for integration, security, data quality and cross functional usage are addressed.
- Follow enterprise data standards and participate in the definition and improvement.
- Help resolve data issues, troubleshoot system problems, and as needed, assist other staff with reporting, debugging data accuracy issues, and other related functions.
Desired Skills and Experience
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- University degree in the field of Computer Science or other technical equivalents.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a similar role.
- Solid understanding of both RDBMS and NoSQL systems.
- Strong SQL experience in analysing, transforming, and integrating high volume, complex data sources with considerations for accuracy, efficiency, and performance.
- Demonstrated experience implementing custom ETL solutions in Enterprise Data Warehouse environments, using Microsoft SQL Server Tools and Services.
- Understanding data governance and master data management principles.
- Strong experience with XML, XPath, JSON, and Web API.
- Knowledge of .Net Framework and strong experience programming in C# and/or Visual Basic .NET.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure database and analytics services such as Data Factory, HDInsight, Data Lake, and Data Warehouse—Previous experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Big Data tools and distribution systems such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark—Previous experience is a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL and non-relational databases such as Azure DocumentDb and Table Storage, HBase, and/or MongoDB.
- Experience with BI and analytics visualisation tools—Previous experience with Power BI and/or Tableau is a plus.
General Skills and Abilities
- Ability to solve problems using a balance of technical competence, creativity, and pragmatism.
- Out-of-the-box thinking and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly detail-oriented emphasising accuracy.
- Well-developed time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team, and effectively collaborate with development, operations, and business teams.
- Highly-motivated, self-directed, and able to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies in small development teams as well as ability to multitask while working independently or on a team with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Good command of the English language.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Swiss or EU citizen or have a valid Swiss work permit.