Journal Development Manager
We are seeking an enthusiastic and target-oriented professional for the position of Journal Development Manager with the main responsibility of content acquisition. This permanent, full-time position in our Lausanne or London office will involve an immersion in the rapidly-changing environment of the scholarly, open access publishing industry. The successful candidate will oversee several journals and contribute to the development and implementation of journal initiatives and content acquisition as well as supporting and building relationships with the editorial boards.
Under the supervision of a program manager and working closely with other journal managers and editorial office staff, this position requires an ability to quickly and accurately analyze large volumes of information and arrive at solution-oriented, forward thinking decisions. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and work experience within academic publishing, will liaise and develop relationships with very high-profile scholars, will manage and supervise junior members of the editorial office team, and will implement new editorial strategies.
We have a current opening in Life Science and Medical/health sciences.
- Manage the activities of three journals and the launch of new journals/specialties;
- Drive content acquisition strategies to ensure the growth and success of the journals;
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and promote the journal in all communications;
- Forecast journal growth and deliver on ambitious targets;
- Innovate and implement editorial strategies;
- Lead internal projects on content management and ensuring quality;
- Liaise with internal departments to ensure efficiency of operations;
- At least 1 year experience working in a publishing house;
- Project and staff management experience is a strong plus;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and outgoing personality;
- Preferably a graduate-level degree with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Adept at digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (specifically MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms;
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the EU (Schengen area).
Your application should include:
1. A cover letter and resume (as DOC or PDF)
2. The indication of your earliest availability
3. A 300 word summary on the following - "How do you see scientific journal publishing in ten years?”